1. Chlorine is a toxic chemical used in water treatments to reduce bacteria and viruses.
2. Chlorine is harmful when you drink it, but exposure to vaporized chemicals in the water supply through showering, bathing and inhalation is 100 times greater than through drinking water.
3. One half of our daily chlorine exposure is from showering. Chlorine is not only absorbed through the skin, but also re-vaporized in the shower, inhaled into the lungs, and transferred directly into the blood system. In fact, the chlorine exposure from one shower is equal to an entire day’s amount of drinking the same water.
4. When chlorine is used as a water treatment, it combines with organic matter to form compounds called trihalomethanes (THMs), also known as disinfectant byproducts. One of the most common THMs formed is chloroform, which is a known carcinogen.
5. We are aware that the quality of our drinking water can be greatly improved by filtration. Filtration only addresses one part of the problem
6. If you are concerned about your daily health and are willing to do something about it, the dechlorinating shower system is an affordable solution to the problem.
Environmental Protection Agency
Dr. Lance Wallace